As part of my research into Japanese civilians who were interned in Australia during World War II, I’m looking for people who would like to share personal or family stories about Japanese civilian internees (particularly Japanese who were interned at the Loveday camps in South Australia).
Can you help? If you are a former internee, or have a family member who was interned, or have some other personal connection to Japanese civilian internees in Australia (eg you worked at or lived near the camps), I’m hoping to:
- Interview you/your relative about the Japanese civilian internment experience in Australia
- Read any letters/diaries about Japanese internment in Australia
- See photos of the Japanese internment camps
Your stories will help me complete my doctoral research project at the University of Technology, Australia (however, I won’t directly quote from the material unless you give me permission to do so).
My project comprises:
- A historical study about the impact of internment on Japanese civilians;
- A novel-length work of historical fiction set inside the Loveday internment camps in South Australia during World War II.